It is believed that each religion will possess its own set of principles and beliefs that are followed by the adherents. Truly, Hinduism is considered as the complex religion for people to understand unless they have grown up in the places that have widely spread this religion. Though Hinduism has originated in India, there are a lot of Hindus in several countries around the world. If you are interested in finding out Hinduism, this article can be useful!
Hindu religion and its mysterious facts
- Actually, Hinduism is considered to be the 3rd largest religion in the world with over one billion followers. Out of these billion adherents, approximately 905 million ones live in India.
- Hinduism is often mentioned as Sanatana Dharma by its followers. The term indicates a Sanskrit phrase with the meaning of “the eternal law”.
- Generally, Hinduism’s vast body of scriptures will be classified into Sruti (means “revealed”), and Smriti (means “remembered”). These scriptures will discuss theology, mythology and philosophy with the aim of giving information on the practice of the Hindu dharma.
- Besides, the fundamentals of Ayurveda found in the oldest scriptures of Hinduism can be called the Vedas which are known as the ancient Indian books of wisdom.
- The scriptures of Hinduism indicate celestial entities or the deities like Devas (gods) and Devis (goddesses).
- Most of the Hindus believe that the soul or spirit that is mentioned as the true “self” of each individual and called atman will be eternal.
- The classical Hindu thought agrees four significant objectives of people’s lives – known as the puru?arthas including dharma (righteousness), kama (sensual pleasure), artha (livelihood, wealth) and moksha (liberation, freedom).
- There will be 4 methods of Yoga for Hindus that have been laid down by the sages. These methods will be Bhakti Yoga (the path of love and devotion), Raja Yoga (the path of meditation), Jnana Yoga (the path of wisdom) and Karma Yoga (the path of right action).
- It is supposed that Hindu followers desire to seek blessing from Devas and awareness from God.
- The common Hindu epics Mahabharata and Ramayana can serve as both religious scriptures and the source of guiding principles of morality and philosophy.
- Hinduism has the system of iconography and symbolism that is used to represent the sacredness in art, literature, architecture and worship. Some of the common icons and symbols in Hinduism are considered as the syllable Om and the swastika.